Hardware & Software Systems for Human Factors Research
VIDEO-AUDIO DATA ACQUISITION SYSTEM (VASNET)
The video-audio data acquisition system (VASNET) was developed to facilitate studying the activities of care providers in the clinical environment.
VASNET records video-audio data as well as patient vital signs data. The unique features of VASNET include:
- turn-key operation;
- directly interfaced with patient monitors;
- overlayed vital signs data on top of video image;
- network data transfer, (6) acquired video-audio data and vital signs data both time-stamped.
VASNET systems have been in use since 1991 in operating rooms and resuscitation units.
Description of vasnet.pdf.
Contact Peter Fu Ming Hu for more information.
ENVIRONMENT FOR VIDEO ANALYSIS (VINA)
The Environment for Video Analysis (VINA) was developed for efficient handling of video data for the purpose of analysis, coding, critical review, and precise control of video presentation in experiments. The analysis of video-audio data often requires quick cross-checking and referencing among timeline documents as well as between timeline documents and video images displayed on the TV monitor, where timeline documents can be in the form of transcripts, codings of events and activities, vital signs, etc.
VINA has the following features:
- manual and scripted VCR control;
- VCR control by pointing, click-and-drag;
- automatic tracking (highlighting) of records in multiple timeline documents by synchronizing with timecode on videotapes;
- touch coding of events and activities;
- temporal graphic representation of codings;
- digital and graphical display of recorded vital signs data synchronized with VCR.